DCSD First Grade Gifted Identification
There was a discussion at the September Board of Education meeting regarding the elimination of ITBS testing for 1st Grade due to budgetary issues. The ITBS is one of the methods by which DCSD identifies Gifted Students. Ms. Howe led a discussion of possible Gifted Identification alternatives to ITBS for 1st Grade students, but it was obvious that this alternative could not be implemented prior to the October ITBS testing schedule.
The following notice from Ms. March explains that 1st Grade will be included in this year's ITBS testing schedule:
In light of the discussions at the Board of Education meeting held Tuesday, September 11, 2012 regarding first grade gifted identification, DeKalb County School District will administer the Cognitive Ability Test (CogAT) and Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) to all first grade students as we have done in previous years. All students in grades 1, 3, 5 and 7 will participate in the following evaluation procedures:
- All DCSD students in grades 1, 3, 5 and 7 will be tested for the Program for Gifted following the district-wide assessment schedule.
- In October, the CogAT is administered district-wide to first, third, fifth and seventh grade students. These scores provide data in the mental ability area for eligibility.
- In October, the ITBS is administered district-wide to first, third, fifth and seventh grade students. These scores provide data in the achievement area for eligibility.
- In November, motivation and creativity rating scales (Renzulli) are completed on every student not currently identified as gifted, by the classroom teacher, in grades one, three, five and seven.
- All first, third, fifth and seventh grade students must have a score in all four areas necessary for gifted evaluation.
Therefore, at this time, we will not be moving forward with the alternative identification piloting plan. Testing dates can be found on the Dekalb County Schools website, www.dekalb.k12.ga.us.
Kendra D. March
Deputy Superintendent, School Leadership and Operational Support
DeKalb County School District