Vanderlyn Elementary School "Modular Classroom" Update
Photo Courtesy of The Dunwoody Crier
The dysfunction within DeKalb Schools never ceases to amaze....even as it continues year after year. How could a school system NOT have classrooms ready on Day 1? The following is an update from Vanderlyn Principal Mrs. Crenshaw:
As you know, the DeKalb County School District devised a comprehensive plan to remove/replace the modulars over the summer. Unfortunately, there were unexpected delays in the process which will result in a delay of our modular units being returned to our campus by the start of school. Please be assured that a viable transition plan will be in effect that will be communicated to all 4th and 5th grade students prior to Meet and Greet. Every detail and consideration is being well-thought-out by local and district leaders to ensure the safety of our students. Plans to accommodate them during this transition are being finalized. I realize that communication is an integral part of this transition plan, so I ask for your trust and patience as the final and most important details are decided. As your Principal and Operations Leader, I can guarantee you that no detail will go unnoticed and that our students will have a comfortable classroom space on August 12. I appreciate your support in advance in this very important matter. Full details are forthcoming.
Article from The Dunwoody Crier:
Vanderlyn Awaits Serious Musical Chairs
The Vanderlyn Transition Plan as sent out last evening:
- This plan is effective for August 12th -August 23rd as there will be a two week process in place to restore modulars to full operational use and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy.
- There will not be any interruption to instructional services. Drama, Music and Art teachers will implement Push-In model by providing instruction to ALL students in their homeroom classes.
- Dance and PE will be held the gym and dance classroom as usual. Gifted and ESOL teacher will rotate into homeroom classes during ELT once services begin.
- All Special Area Teachers that are affected will be temporarily provided with shared office space located in the 2 trailers located on the lower campus while their classrooms are being utilized by 4th and 5th grade teachers.
- The gym will continue to be the supervised location for 4th and 5th grade students to report to during a.m. arrival (7:15- 7:30). Afterwards, students will be escorted back into the building.
- Meet-n-Greet for 4th and 5th grade students will take place in their temporary classrooms located in the building.