On December 21, 2017, the Governors Office of Student Achievement (GOSA) released the 2017 Beating the Odds results.
The following DCSD Region 1 schools were awarded the"Beating the Odds" designation:
Austin Elementary School
Chesnut Elementary School
Kingsley Elementary School
Dunwoody High School
Ashford Park Elementary School
Kittredge Magnet School
Cross Keys Cluster
John Robert Lewis Elementary School
Cross Keys High School
Beating the Odds is a statistical analysis that compares a school’s actual performance on the College and Career Ready Performance Index (CCRPI) with the performance of schools with similar characteristics across the state. For further information on "Schools Like Mine", click on the following link: https://schoolslikemine.gosa.ga.gov/.
Schools that perform higher than similar schools are considered “Beating the Odds.”
As the data is presented, Kittredge Magnet School is an example of one of the flaws of the “Schools Like Mine” data.
- Kittredge is a 100% choice school. All students are accepted into Kittredge based on good grades and high test scores.
- Museum School is a charter school. Peachcrest Elementary and Avondale Elementary school zones are The Museum Schools primary attendance zone and the schools weights its admission lottery to students who economically disadvantaged.
- Braelinn Elementary is a typical public neighborhood school located in Fayette County.
- Westside Elementary School is a typical public neighborhood school located in Marietta, GA. Westside is also a Title 1 school.
- Atlanta Classical Academy an open-enrollment, liberal arts public charter school located in Atlanta, GA.
So, exactly how is Kittredge “like” these schools? It appears that the GADOE needs to modify their analysis. Schools that have no academic criteria for entrance should not be compared against schools that do require academic criteria for entrance.
It is important to note that schools that “Beat the Odds” may still have low CCRPI scores and/or gaps in performance. Each year, between 40-49% of schools will “Beat the Odds” regardless of statewide performance changes from the prior year because the analysis compares all schools’ performance within the same school year.
The following school characteristics are included in the calculation:
- Percentage of economically disadvantaged students,
- Percentage of English language learners,
- Percentage of students with disabilities,
- Percentage of students in each race/ethnicity,
- School size,
- Student mobility, and
- School type (Elementary, Middle, High, and schools that span grade clusters).
For further information and to view all BTO schools, click on the following link: